2018 PhD Fellowships for Women Scientists
Program: PhD Fellowship
Provider: Organization for Women in Science for the Developing World
Location: Eligible developing countries lagging science and Technology
Types of Fellowship:
Deadline for application: 01 June 2018
The OWSD fellowship benefits:
- Tuition fees
- Monthly living stipend
- Visa costs
- Travel costs for the research purpose visits
- To attend the international conferences a special allowance is granted.
- Medical insurance
- Expense of attending regional science communications workshops, on a competitive basis
Expenses for personal needs may be covered by the candidates.
Fellowship program Description
Students from eligible developing countries with a master degree who are seeking for PhD studies in their home countries or other developing countries can apply the fellowship offered SIDA). The Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency (Sida) accepts applications for a PhD research in the Natural, Engineering and Information Technology Sciences from women scholars who are from the countries listed below, in cooperation with host institutes all over the developing countries.
The fellowship program is aimed to improve the leading role of women in sustainable development of their home country. South Women from STLCs would have the opportunity to participate in trainings and educational programs in Technology and Science. It helps enable courageous and talented women to connect in the region and with other parts of the world and have an effective impact in developing their country scientifically and technologically.
There are two study schemes for the fellowship:
- Full- time fellowship: it is a four year research program hosted by an institute in a progressing south country.
- Sandwich fellowship: The candidate is obligated to be enrolled as a PhD student in their home country and is willing to pursue his/her research in another hosting university. This may consist of 1 to 3 visits to the host institute which is located in another developing country. The first visit may not last less than 6 months. In general, the time spent at the host university should not be more than 20 months. But still the funding is available for four years.
Note: It is encouraged that candidates take the Sandwich fellowship, because fellows would have to possibility to use the equipment and experience of researchers outside. Meanwhile they could acquire the PhD from their own country. More importantly, the funding is solely available when the student is at the hosting institution.
- Intend to return to home country upon completion
- Be from one of eligible countries
- Having at least a Master’s of Science in one of the fields mentioned below:
- Eligible Study fields
- Agricultural Sciences
- Astronomy, Space and Earth Sciences
- Biological Systems and Organisms
- Chemical Sciences
- Computing and Information Technology
- Engineering Sciences
- Mathematical Sciences
- Medical and Health Sciences
- Structural, Cell and Molecular Biology
- Candidates must choose a host institution from another developing country in the South( not their own)
- Outline of PhD research proposal (maximum 2.000 words)
- Copies of educational documents (high school, bachelor and master Degree certificates and transcripts)
- Acceptance letter from one host institute
- Commitment letter- indicating the existence of the required facilities and equipment in the institute- from the prospective host supervisor.
- Two Letters of Reference (The referees for Sandwich candidates should not be their home PhD supervisor)
- Copy of Passport
For SANDWICH candidates only:
- Registration and No objection certificate from their home institute which indicates that the fellow is an enrolled PhD student and there is no denial with her studying abroad.
- Supporting statement from home supervisor
Note: You can find the information about the guidelines for reference letters, letter of commitment, acceptance letter sample and No objection certificate on the website
The applicants must submit all the required documents along with their application online. Only if OWDS asks you for any more document, you should email them. If OWSD finds any application incomplete or false (e.g. blank documents, false certificates, outdated reference letters), it will be considered ineligible.
For more information about this fellowship please visit OWSD website