The PhD program is a unique opportunity for researchers to broaden their expertise in the field of sustainability science. It is a three-year of 14 credits with a focus to enhance the understanding of the role of environmental sustainability in the problems to global change, specially connected with climate change and biodiversity.
Students can select courses from those offered by UNU-IAS, or they have the opportunity to take courses at other leading universities in Japan such as the University of Tokyo, Sophia University, International Christian University, and Yokohama National University.
Related: Read other available Scholarship for PhD Degree
- Must have enthusiasm in sustainability studies;
- Dedicated to study and understand universal problems;
- Master’s degree in fields related to sustainability studies and 2 years of experience related to UNU-IAS research themes after obtaining a university degree (In case the applicant have two completed Master’s degrees, one of which must be related to sustainability studies).
- A GPA of 3.5 or above for at least one of the Master’s degrees earned
- English language proficiency (TOEFL – 600 (PBT), 100 (IBT) OR 7.0 IELTS – Academic) Applicants whose native language is English or completed their undergraduate or postgraduate degree in an English speaking country or where the language of instruction was English (In this case, an official statement is required, confirming the use of English as the language of instruction and examination), are exempted.
Note: UNU-IAS requires original TOEFL/IELTS score reports (no photocopies accepted). You can ask the official score report using an institution code 6991.
Application deadline: 27 April 2018
Start of the program: September 1, 2018
Location: Tokyo, Japan
University : United Nation University
- A monthly allowance of 120,000 JPY for living expenses
- Tuition fees
Note: The scholarship does not cover the travel expense and Visa Fees.
- Must be from developing countries (OECD DAC list) with a need for financial assistance.
Applicants can apply to this program online. There is no separate application form for the scholarship. Only applicants that are accepted for enrollment in the UNU-IAS PhD in Sustainability Science program can be considered as candidates for the scholarship.
For further details please read FAQ and other information on United nation university