Language Requirement Not Required
No. of Opportunity 30
Opportunity Type : Partially Funded
Duration 1 To 12 Months
Korean Foundation is accepting applications for the 2021 KF Fellowship program for field research on Korea related research. Annually, the Korea Foundation offers a fellowship program for Korea related field research to contribute to the advancement of foreign research in the country.
Aimed at promoting overseas research in Korean studies, the Korea Foundation renders program support for the Fellowship for Field Research to provide prominent overseas Korean studies scholars and experts in relevant fields with the opportunity to undertake onsite field research in Korea and enjoy relevant resource materials.
Details of the program
Applications deadline: 31 August 2020 (6:00 PM)
Notification of results: December 2020
Host institutions: Different
Fellowship period: The field research should take place between January 1 and December 31, 2021
Duration: 1 month (minimum) to 12 months (maximum)
Fellowship Type: Paid
Number of available awards: Up to 30 per year
Start date: No later than November 2021
- Open to applicants worldwide.
- Applicants must be able to carry out their research in Korean or English.
foreign researchers who are undertaking comparative or case studies in the field of Korean studies or in Korea-related areas in the fields of humanities or social sciences can apply, or
- And, applicants who are focusing on research topics that are closely linked to Korea and known as important new fields of study, and fall under one of the following criteria can apply:
|Qualifications||Ph.D. candidates who have done their required coursework and are in the process of writing their doctoral dissertation||– Full-time professors or researchers with experience in teaching or research at a university or research institute
– Assistant, associate or full professors or individuals currently in a professional or research field
(Ph.D. degree holders only)
|Monthly Allowance||KRW 2,300||KRW 3,000|
|Miscellaneous Support||① Travel insurance coverage
② Initial dwelling support (one-time payment):
KRW 1,000 for tenured associate professors;
KRW 1,500 for tenured full professors
③ Air ticket expense (only for applicants living in countries listed in the attached file)
Who cannot apply?
- Individuals under the following circumstances are NOT qualified for consideration:
- Those who presently study or conduct research in Korea
- Applicants who seek to improve their Korean language knowledge or to become a regular student at a university in Korea
- Individuals who received KF Field Research Fellowship or research donations for field research from other Korean public institutions within the previous three years
A- Fellows’ responsibilities
After the fellowship period has ended, all fellows must submit a final report on their research to the Foundation (in accordance with standard research form) provided by the KF and two weeks after the completion of the fellowship period.
The fellowship period approved by the KF’s revision committee may vary from applicants’ proposed schedule.
B- Facility arrangement
Accommodations and research facilities should be arranged by the fellows in cooperation with their associated research institute
How to apply?
Applications for this program are online and should be submitted via the KF Online Application Portal through the link below.
Please make sure to complete the following steps within your application:
– You must first register as a member before applying.
– One PDF file may be uploaded per the attachment category.
– Only scanned files (in PDF format) are valid. Image files will invalid.
– The application form and all documents must be submitted in English or Korean. Please submit both the original file and a verbatim translation if they are not in English.
– Letters of reference: The link where you can download the reference form and upload the completed form will be sent to referees when the applicant presses the submit button.
Please note that letters of reference can be submitted via fellowship email within a week, even after the deadline.
Required documents for submission (please note that in preparing the documents you have to consider both types of applicants (A &B) as classified above.
Applicants Type Documents to be submitted
- Application form
- Curriculum vitae (including the applicant’s signature)
- Research proposal (free format, 5-10 pages)
- Proposal for collaborative research with a Korean scholar
– Written by the Korean scholar, submitted by the applicant.
– Please insert the Korean scholar’s signature
- Two letters of reference
– Head of the applicant’s institution (university president, dean, department head, institute director, etc.)
– Dissertation supervisor in the applicant’s home country
- Proof of current employment or enrollment (official letter or certificate)
- Graduate school transcripts (MA & Ph.D.)
- Copy of the most recently acquired academic degree
- Certificate of coursework completion (official letter written by the department head or supervisor)
Also, for type B, all documents are the same as type A, except the following:
An individual capable of evaluating the applicant’s research proposal (expert or professor of applicant’s country of origin)
For inquiries regarding the online application portal, please contact: [email protected]
For further information about the fellowship program, visit the KF Field Research fellowship program.