8 ‘National Consultant-Community Mobilizer’ Positions by FAO in Different ProvincesJob/Internship Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO)
FAO is an international organization working in the areas of food security, reducing hunger and malnutrition. The primary purpose of the FAO country offices is to help governments to develop policies, programs, and projects to address food safety and thereupon to reduce hunger and malnutrition.
Logistics services throughout Afghanistan.
Position Title: National Consultant-Community Mobilizer
Job Locations: Ghazni, Badghis, Bamyan, Kunar and Paktia
Category: Agriculture, Monitoring and Evaluation, QA-Quality Control, Natural Resources Management, Communication
Employment Type: Full-Time
Salary: As per the organization’s salary scale
Vacancy No: FAO/PRJ/SC/17-2020
No of Jobs: 8
Work Experience: At least three years of progressively responsible experience
Contract Duration: 11 months (extendable)
Closing date: 9 August 2020
FAO is hiring eight individuals as National Consultants- Community Mobilizer for its project implementation in the five aforementioned provinces of Afghanistan. Qualified applicants can read the details and apply accordingly.
The General Directorate of Natural Resources Management (GD-NRM) of MAIL provides services in Natural Resource Management (NRM), and they promote community-based NRM initiatives so that local communities can advantage of natural resources in a just and equitable way. Therefore, the mission of the General Directorate of NRM is restoration, and protection of forests, rangelands, natural vegetation, and ecological areas. They are doing this by introducing careful use approaches and mechanisms, by training communities in watershed management and soil conservation, by fighting desertification and improving ecological balance.
Main Purpose of the Project:
The National Consultant – Community Mobilizer will work as a part of the GEF-6 project (GCP/AFG/084/GEF) on Community-based Sustainable Land and Forest Management in Afghanistan. Moreover, the main purpose of the project is to support integrated community-based approaches to SLM/SFM in Afghanistan for advancing biodiversity protection, climate change mitigation, and rangeland productivity. The National Consultant – Community Mobilizers will have to conduct community-level activities and support Forest management association (FMA) / Rangeland management association (RAMA) to execute the project activities.
The project activities are implemented successfully, on time, and effectively in accordance with the objectives of the project. Therefore, the incumbent is responsible for undertaking extensive field surveys to measure forest plots and gather ground-survey data.
The incumbents’ duties and responsibilities will be to:
- Facilitate of community-based SLM/SFM planning and community-based participatory M&E to protect rangeland and biodiversity to prevent soil erosion;
- Develop a grazing schedule/plan in target areas using rotational grazing system methods and the implementation of soil and water conservation measures to lessen pressure on rangelands;
- Oversee community nursery seedbed preparation in all Forest management association (FMA) / Rangeland management association (RAMAs) in the project target districts of Kunar, Paktia, and Badghish;
- Help Provincial Field Coordinator in the distribution of input packages (seed and equipment for nursery establishment, fodder cultivation in rangeland in RAMA, etc.);
- Assist Provincial Field Coordinator in land preparation (construction of trenches and pit) for plantation and establishment of small woodlots for mitigating pressure in the rangeland areas;
- Assist in sapling and cuttings distribution to the Forest management associations/ Rangeland management associations;
- Prepare a weekly plan for community awareness-raising and share it with the Provincial Coordinator and PMU in Kabul;
- Visit plantation sites/ re-seeding sites and community nursery for monitoring and observation;
- Assist forest and rangeland technicians to supervise the community nursery/ reseeding sites and oversee the plantation work in the FMAs;
- Make the list of saplings for distribution to the FMAs for afforestation;
- Prepare a list of seed distributed to the RAMA for re-seeding in rangeland;
- Facilitate FMAs/ RAMAs meeting and support those maintaining minutes/records;
- Participate in capacity development training on sustainable forest/ land management and other pertinent trainings and facilitate training in the community;
- Determine recipients for alternative livelihood activities and contribute to the input distribution
University degree in disciplines such as Forestry, Geography, Environment, Natural Resource Management, Agriculture, Horticulture, or closely relevant field.
2. Work experience
- A minimum of three (3) years of progressively responsible project support services, community-based sustainable land management, rural management, survey, data gathering, reporting and experience in community mobilization;
- Individuals from the FMA/ RAMA sites/ community or project target locations will be preferred; and
- Basic understanding of climate change, geography, and sustainable management issues in Afghanistan, including the political, institutional, and socio-economic contexts.
- Other Technical/Functional Skills:
- The ability or willingness to travel extensively in remote or unapproachable areas to hold meeting and awareness-raising;
- Motivation of teamwork through creating a helpful environment;
- Ability and willingness to travel in or to remote or unreachable areas to conduct ground-survey;
- Have the necessary motivation to work as a team through creating a supportive environment; and
- Understanding of common UN administrative and financial rules and regulations;
- Ability to organize work methodically, prioritize and catch deadlines;
- Ability to structure and communicate information in a fitting format and timely, ensuring accurateness and coherence;
- Good IT skills, especially in Geographic Information System and MS Office applications, and proficient in utilizing internet search engines and other relevant online instruments ;
- Experience or familiarity with organizing stakeholder meetings/workshops with national contributors;
- Good writing skills in English; and
- Fair computer skills with sufficient experience in word processing, spreadsheets, and other software application.
- Language Skills:
- Good knowledge of English and local languages, both verbal and written skills.
How to apply?
Interested Afghan nationals should fill in the FAO Personal History Form (PHF) (without form no application is accepted) and submit it along with their application letter and CV to the given email address, clearly writing the vacancy number and position title (National Consultant – Community Mobilizer – FAO/PRJ/SC/17-2020) in the subject line of the email; otherwise, your email will be disqualified from further processing.
PHF Form link.
Submission email: [email protected]
The above-required documents can also be submitted in writing (marked “Confidential” and clearly writing on the sealed envelope the vacancy number and position title) to
The Assistant FAO Representative, FAO Representation, Ministry of Agriculture, Irrigation and Livestock, Jamal Mina, Opposite to Kabul University, Kabul, Afghanistan.
Note: late applications will not be considered.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted for test/interview.
Qualified female candidates and persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.
Read more about this announcement here.