Language Requirement Not Required
Fields of study Various
Opportunity Type : Fully Funded
Language of Instruction English
The applications are currently open for the Asian Development Bank-Japan Scholarship Program (ADB-JSP) at the University of Tokyo for international students. This scholarship is a unique opportunity for international students to pursue their master’s degrees in Japan on a fully-funded scholarship program. You will study at the GSFS Department, University of Tokyo, one of the leading universities in the world.
The ADB-JSP scholarship is allocated to the Graduate School of Frontier Sciences (GSFS) department for a master’s degree at the University of Tokyo, where scholars will be guided by the faculty members and researchers to work on innovative projects. Meanwhile, the scholarship program is organized by ADB and funded by the government of Japan.
Application deadline: 10 December 2020
Host University: The University of Tokyo
Degree level: Postgraduate
Academic Year: 2021
Scholarship Type: Fully-funded
Area of Study:
- Natural & Environmental Studies
- Ocean Technology, Policy, and Environment
- Department of Environment Systems
- Human and Engineered Environmental Studies
- Socio-cultural Environmental Studies
- International Studies
- Graduate Program in Sustainability Science
The scholarship covers:
- Full tuition costs
- A monthly subsistence and housing stipend
- An allowance for books and instructional resources
- Medical insurance
- Travel costs
To be eligible for ADB-JSP 2021 master’s scholarship, candidates must meet the criteria below.
- Must be a national of an ABD member country.
- Necessarily have a bachelor’s or a degree comparable to that of the Tokyo University’s degree from an accredited university for a master’s program.
- Must possess at least two years of full-time work experience.
- Should be proficient in the English language and have strong communication skills in English.
- Be under the age of 35.
- Be in good health condition.
- Should be committed to returning to his/her home country after graduation.
How will successful students be selected?
- After sending the application materials completely, the university reviews and verifies the qualifications of applicants. then, successful candidates from the review process may apply through the GSFS department for an ADB scholarship at the university.
How to apply for this scholarship?
You can apply by sending your complete set of applications to the following email address no later than the deadline.
International Liaison Office
Graduate School of Frontier Sciences (GSFS), the University of Tokyo
Submission email: [email protected]
Room 120, Building of Environmental Studies
5-1-5 Kashiwa no ha, Kashiwa
Chiba 277-8563, Japan
Phone: +81 4 7136 4558
Note: Since the postal service of 2020 has been affected by the outbreak of the Covid-19 infections, the method for receiving the application forms for 2020 has been changed as follows.
1) Submit the completed application form via email with the title of email being “ADB Application_Name (applicant’s name)”.
2) Letters of recommendations can be sent directly from the recommenders to the GSFS by emails. The title of the email should be “ADB Recommendation Letter_Name (applicant’s name)”. The letters sent hereby are original documents with no need for sending them by postal mail.
3) The applicants must submit original hard copy of the application form through email too. Please check and inform the International Liaison Office of the planned arrival date when you sent the document. If the original copy does not reach the Graduate School of Frontier Science (GSFS) by February 1st, 2021(Monday), the application will be considered invalid and will not be taken into account.
What documents do you need to prepare and submit?
Candidates have to download the application form and submit it with the following documents:
- Official academic transcript or verified photocopy from the previous institution attended
- Official diploma of graduation or attested photocopy from the previous university
- Two letters of recommendation
Note: You will need to find a supervisor for your chosen course at the university as well.