Degree Non Degree Program/Certificate
Language Requirement Not Required
Fields of study Various
Opportunity Type : Fully Funded
Language of Instruction English
Opportunity ID 78538
The Clinton Global Initiative University (CGI U) is seeking higher education student leaders who are committed to addressing a pressing challenge in their community by taking drastic actions. Therefore, the organization is looking for undergraduate and graduate students worldwide who are motivated to affect a positive change in the areas of education, environment, and climate change, peace and human rights, poverty mitigation, and public health.
Application deadline: January 15, 2021 (11:59 pm ET)
Notification of result: February 2021
Organizing institution: Clinton Global Initiative University (CGI U), Clinton Foundation
Duration: up to one year
Successful students receiving admission into CGI U will participate in a year-round program that includes access to:
- Extensive mentorship;
- A social impact curriculum;
- Funding streams; and
- Student engagement events, including the CGI U 2021 virtual annual meeting hosted by Howard University.
- Extra programming will also be provided to students through partnerships with the Peter G. Peterson Foundation, with a focus on civic issues and fiscal sustainability;
- Support from IBM to help students develop app-based projects that address COVID-19 and climate change through Call for Code;
- And, Verizon to help students devise inventive technology solutions to critical domestic issues, with the opportunity to win a place in an accelerator program and propose for seed funding.
- Who can participate?
You are eligible to apply to the CGI U Class of 2021 if you:
- Have never previously been admitted into CGI U,
- You are at least 18 years old,
- You are currently enrolled in an institution of higher education at the time of application.
- Students may only submit one application; doubled applications will not be considered.
- In case you are applying as a group, the group leader must complete their application first and select ‘Group’ as the application type to provide details about group members.
- And, groups of more than three members cannot apply.
The CGI U Selection Committee will review the applications. The CGI U Selection Committee commits selecting a diverse group of students – representing diverse backgrounds, experiences, regions, organizations, academic studies, and projects concerning the program’s focus subject areas.
All successful CGI U students will have to be present for the entirety of the scheduled dates of the four below mentioned online modules. So, students need to attend and completely participate in all online module activities. The average time commitment they should make is 3 hours per module.
- Online Module One
- Online Module Two
- Online Module Three
- Online Module Four
May 1, 2021 – November 2021
What are the CGI U Graduation Requirements?
Via the online platform, Commitment Mentors will review and oversee student engagement in the CGI U curriculum and ensure that students are completing requirements for graduation. To complete the CGI U program and qualify for CGI U’s Commitment-Maker seal, letters of recommendation, and other opportunities, participants must complete the following over the 2021 program course:
- Participation in a one-hour small group discussion per module (4 in total)
- Evaluation of CGI U’s 30-minute webinar recordings and readings, which will be available on the online platform, and completion of all supplementary exercises
- Completion of one 30-minute individual coaching session with their Commitment Mentor per module (totally 4)
- The accomplishment of Commitment to Action progress report
How to apply?
You can apply for this program online and submit the necessary materials.
To qualify for CGI U, students must apply with a Commitment to Action: a new, specific, and scalable initiative that tackles a pressing challenge.
To submit a competitive application, go through the following steps:
Topics: Learn about CGI U’s Focus Areas and Keywords to define the scope of your commitment.
Preparation: Use the Application Preview to draft your application answers before you submit them online.
Webinar: Join an application information webinar to grasp a better understanding of the CGI U 2021 application process.
Motivation: Emphasize in your application how you can approach the problem you are trying to solve.
Visit the official link for further details and instructions for completing the above tips.