2020 ‘Honjo International Scholarship Foundation’ Scholarships – JapanResearch Scholarship Honjo International Scholarship Foundation
Honjo International Scholarship Foundation (HISF) is accepting applications from international students who are studying or plan to study at a graduate school in Japanese universities for a master’s degree or PhD. Applicants can submit their applications as long as the school’s capacity is filled. Moreover, you can directly apply to this scholarship through the foundation, not needing pre-selection by the university.
Application periods: Fall intake: April 1 – May 31, 2020
Spring intake: September – October 2020 (detailed information is found in the guideline for application available in the website)
Research fields: all
Number of scholarships: Fall scholarship: a few students and Spring scholarship: 15- 20
Evaluation method: documents screening and interview
The scholarships are granted every month throughout the least period a degree takes to be completed, so it depends on the periods as follows:
- ¥200,000/month for 1 to 2 years degree
- ¥180,000/month for three years degree
- ¥150,000/month for 4 to 5 years degree
- Travel allowance is provided to scholarship receivers for attending international conferences etc.
To be deemed eligible for this scholarship, the international students must meet all the requirements listed below:
- Not hold Japanese citizenship;
- Be applying for the academic term beginning in Autumn 2020 at a graduate school in Japan;
- Those intended to enter graduate schools in April 2021 are ineligible to apply for this program;
- Only apply for the program scheduled to accept the application from October 1 to November 30;
- Students enrolling in a professional graduate school do not qualify to apply. Though, the student who can present a research proposal is eligible to apply;
- PhD program applicants must have been born after August 31, 1984;
- Master’s program applicants must not have been born before August 31, 1989;
- The graduates ought to have a strong passion for serving in his / her home country after graduation;
- Have a profound grasp of international friendship and goodwill, and must take part in the events arranged by the foundation and partake in the network as an alumni member;
- Be able to handle an everyday conversation in Japanese; and
- Interviews will be held in Japanese (Without any exception);
- International Research Training Program Scholarship (IRTP) 2020/2021 at UTS Australia
- Australian Government Research Training Program Scholarship 2020-2021 for international students at Flinders University
- Knight Hennessy Scholarship for Master and PhD at Stanford University
- Academic transcript (In Japanese or English; in case of other languages, a translation should be annexed.
- Academic transcript of the undergraduate course is compulsory.
- In the event you transferred into the university from the College of Technology (kōsen school system), its transcript is also required.
- Research Proposal: Use the provided sample and write in the Japanese language (an MS Word template file is available on our website).
What you should include in the proposal are:
- What your research going to be on,
- What and how you are going to help your home country based on what you will have to learn or study in Japan,
- What are your achievements regarding research, academic, and social contribution?
- A recommendation letter (in Japanese or English) from the supervisor (who can be a recommender from your own country).
- Proof of admission to the university, such as an admission letter, a letter of acceptance, etc.
- The certificate of enrollment only if the student is already enrolled in graduate school.
- Note: In case the admission letter or the letter of acceptance is not available by May 31, 2020, please fill the possible date provided in the “web application system.” And send it to the HISF office via email as soon as it is available.
- A recommendation letter titled “A letter to be sent directly” can also be sent by email or postal mail by a recommender.
- Photocopied documents can also be used to be uploaded.
Submission email for letters: is firstname.lastname@example.org
- The data you have provided can be changed or replaced any time until May 31, 2020.
- The application documentation will not be returned to the applicants.
- The student cannot change his /her course after the commencement of the scholarship period.
- Those whose enrollment period is less than one year are ineligible to apply.
To apply, please consider the following steps:
- Proceed through web application system. Fill out the required information on the form and upload the necessary documents in PDF,
- An application number will be issued upon submission of application, and a PDF file will be made which you will need to save as it will be required at the time of results announcement.
Documents screening results announcement (on HISF’s website): July 31, 2020
Interview date: August 2020 (planned in Tokyo, or else held through video call)
Final results published (on foundation’s website): August 31, 2020