Language Requirement Not Required
Fields of study Arts
Opportunity Type : Partially Funded
Duration 4 6 Months
Language of Instruction English
Opportunity ID 83307
The Terra Foundation for American Art and the American Academy in Rome call for applications for the Terra Foundation Fellowship in 2021.
This fellowship supports a postdoctoral or senior academic to research American art and visual culture (excluding architecture) before 1980. Furthermore, the selected scholars will be in residence at the American Academy in Rome, where they will pursue research in a fabulous atmosphere constructive for intellectual and artistic liberty, interdisciplinary exchange, and novelty. Are you a Ph.D. holder keen to explore visual arts? If so, apply.
Application deadline: 15 November 2020
Awarding institution: Terra Foundation for American
Duration: 4-6 months
The fellowship provides:
- A private study
- A stipend of $2,500 per month, and
- Special access to Rome.
In addition to single rooms, larger spaces are also available, for a fee, to accommodate a spouse and/or children.
- Candidates may apply from any country/nationality if their research would be facilitated by residence at the Academy.
- Applicants must possess a Ph.D. at the time of application. Senior academics are welcome to apply.
- Topics dealing with Italian–American exchanges and necessitating direct exposure to collections and archives in Rome and its neighborhood will be given preference.
How to apply?
Applicants can fill in the online application form and apply online.
a completed online application form consists of the following three documents, and you should upload as three distinct digital files:
- CURRICULUM VITAE: should include languages read and spoken and level of fluency
- PROJECT PROPOSAL: should be double-spaced, 12-point font, and have one-inch margins, within four pages, explaining the nature of the work the applicant decides to undertake in Rome and specifying special resources in Italy important to the project. Please attach bibliographical notes for any sources cited (not counted toward the four-page limit)
- WRITING SAMPLE: could be nearly twenty pages and should be in the proposed field of study. Please include bibliography and footnotes (not countable toward the page limit)
Three reference letters from professionals knowing the candidate and his or her work. Recommenders will be asked to submit their letters electronically through our online system.