Degree Non Degree Program/Certificate
Language Requirement Not Required
No. of Opportunity 5
Opportunity Type : Fully Funded
Language of Instruction English
Introduction to the challenge
The Healthcare Innovation and Technology Lab, Inc. (“HITLAB”) Women’s Health Tech 2020 is now calling for applications. Women’s Health Tech Challenge (“WHTC”) is focused on Women’s Digital Health. WHTC is a competition to recognize emerging technologies that make innovative efforts in digital healthcare technology to improve women’s health on a global scale. Therefore, HITLAB is looking for innovators and digital health startups who fulfill unmet needs in Women’s Health with the of use digital technology to improve digital advances in medical areas through innovation and digital solutions that have an impact on women.
Application deadline: 19 October 2020 (11:59 PM EST)
Challenge administrator: Healthcare Innovation and Technology Lab, Inc. (“HITLAB”)
Number of finalists: 5
Eligible countries: All countries where such Challenges are allowed without any legal barrier
Finalists announced: November 6, 2020
Challenge virtual event (pitch day and the announcement of prize winners): November 19, 2020
The purpose of the challenge is to bolster innovation and identify high-potential new technologies in an emerging and quickly developing, the segment of the digital health market that provides an opportunity to benefit women on a global level.
Challenge Prizes and Opportunities
The Challenge offers finalists and winners prizes like a cash award, in-kind prizes, or other bonus opportunities.
- Grand/First Prize—USD10,000
2. 2nd Place—Up to $20,000 worth of in-kind legal services
3. 3rd Place—Health Innovation Alliance Award
- 1-year membership to Health Innovation Alliance
- Up to $15,000 of in-kind services, including direct government affairs consulting and strategic counselling from Horizon Government Affairs
- 4. 4th Place—NIHUB Women’s Health Tech Innovation Award
- A 1-year premium membership in Nursing Innovation Hub
- Nearly 10 hours of in-kind services of strategy, design, or consulting worth $5,000
- 5. 5th Place—Women’s Health Tech Spirit of Entrepreneurship Award
– Media exposure package worth a maximum value of USD1, 000 provided by Women of Wearables
Bonus Prizes and Opportunities
- Rhia Ventures Award—$5,000 from Rhia Ventures for companies that have innovations in maternal health care or contraception that are fulfilling the necessities of underprivileged communities (women of color, Medicaid, low-income women).
- Digital Dx Ventures Award— $2,500.00 for Best Digital Health Diagnostic Innovation from Digital Dx Ventures
Note: the above categories of awards or prizes are offered by the Challenge sponsors, which are entirely listed on the 2020 HITLAB Women’s Health Tech Initiative website.
The Challenge is open only to:
- Individuals who are at least 18 years old at the time of application are legal citizens of nations where such challenges are allowed by the laws of those countries.
- Teams of eligible people where in each team member fulfills the eligibility requirements for individual Contestants.
- However, contestants may be associated with larger organizations. For the Challenge, a team of qualified individuals may only have a maximum of three (3) individuals represent each team.
- Participants must own or have access at their own expense to a computer, an internet connection, and any other electronic devices, documentation, software, or other items that may be necessary for submission.
- Each team shall assign one individual as the team captain (the “Representative”) to represent and act on behalf of the team.
- If chosen as a finalist, each finalist must be present for the finals online in an electronic virtual forum for the main prize event.
- All contenders are eligible for the Future of Women’s Health Bonus Prizes (“Bonus Prize”). These Bonus Prizes shall be judged solely by the sponsor of the prize based on the criteria identified in the application.
The complete description of the rules and regulations and eligibility is available HERE.
All submissions for this Challenge will be evaluated according to the criteria stated below. A qualified panel of impartial judges selected by the Sponsor and/or Administrator in compliance with the Challenge Rules will conduct reviews and judge the submissions for selection.
The judging criteria include:
- Technical feasibility
- Economic feasibility
- Team structure
- Quality of work
Read more about the judging criteria in the Official Rules of the Challenge linked above.
How to apply?
To apply for this competition, contestants must complete and submit an online application through the Challenge website.
Applicants must submit a unique idea, technology solution, or business concept that addresses or mitigates the unmet needs of women on a global scale (the “Idea”). Ideas could be at any stage of development. There is no fee to enter a Submission.
In submissions, applicants may consider the following tips.
- All Submission materials must be in English.
- A Submission may be disqualified at the sole discretion of the Sponsor and/or Administrator if it infringes on the eligibility criteria.
- Submissions must:
- be the distinct work product of the Contestant, (b) be solely owned by the Contestant and with no other individual or entity having any right or interest in it, and (c) not infringe on the Intellectual Property rights or other rights including but not limited to the copyright, trademark, patent, contract, and/or privacy rights, of any other person or organization.
- Team Potential: A succinct description of the team, if applicable.
- Funding/Support: Disclose the amount of funding already gained, as well as any future support from any group and/or institution(s).
- The Administrator may require contestants to provide additional information to verify any aspect of the Submission.