Degree Non Degree Program/Certificate
Language Requirement Not Required
Fields of study Ocean Sciences
Opportunity Type : Fully Funded
Duration 10 12 Weeks
Language of Instruction English
The Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution (WHOI) Summer Student Fellowship application for summer 2021 is open now. Summer Student Fellowships are funded programs and offered to undergraduate students who are completing their junior year at colleges or universities and are undertaking a degree in any of the fields of science or engineering including but not limited to the fields of biology, chemistry, engineering, geology, geophysics, mathematics, meteorology, physics, oceanography, and marine policy. If you are interested, if it a perfect opportunity to apply!
Details of Summer Student Fellowship
Application deadline: 5 February 2021
Notification of decision: Mid-march 2021
Awarding institution: Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution (WHOI)
Duration: 10-12 weeks
Mode: Remote or hybrid
The fellowship award includes:
- A stipend of $650 per week.
- A travel allowance of $700.
- Accommodation (institution housing with shared rooms and units)
- The fellowship is open to international students meeting the criteria of the program.
- Only students currently studying in one of the above-mentioned fields are eligible to apply.
- Applicants who will complete their undergraduate degree before the fellowship starts are not eligible.
- Students must have at least an explicit interest in the ocean sciences, oceanographic engineering, or marine policy.
- Members of groups underrepresented in ocean science and engineering are especially recommended to apply.
- Successful applicants who are required to apply for a J-1 visa will need to present English language proficiency proofs as well.
Fellows are selected according to the applicant’s previous academic and scientific accomplishments, interests, and promise as future promising ocean scientists or ocean engineers.
Students who receive a fellowship will have time until March 15th, 2021 to accept or refuse the offer.
How to apply?
Applicants can submit an online application by filling the online application form.
In addition to the online application form, you need to submit the following documents:
- A current CV or resume showing your educational background and work experience
- A current unofficial transcript, a PDF document. (Note: WHOI will ask for An Official Transcript from any applicant who secures a Summer Student Fellowship.)
- At least two letters of recommendation from professors or others who know the applicant’s academic credentials (References will not be contacted automatically, you have to direct them to the References)
- A completed Course Record worksheet(within the application) outlining undergraduate coursework as per subject category, the primary textbook studied for each course, and the grade earned for completing the course.
A research statement, no more than three double-spaced, typewritten pages addressing the following five questions:
- How would a summer of research at WHOI benefit your education and career plans?
- What skills do you expect to gain from this research experience?
- What qualities and advantages will you add to the program as a result of your work/activities/other life experiences?
- Have you previously been engaged in research projects as part of your classwork, a job or an internship? If yes, what did you earn from this experience?
What arenas of marine research are you passionate about and why? You may refer to a particular lab at WHOI or a general area, see WHOI Departments and WHOI Areas of Research
And, please attach anything else you would like its selection committee to know about you that hasn’t already been covered.
For queries regarding the fellowship, contact [email protected].
Or, visit the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution’s (WHOI) website for greater details about fellow’s obligations and research work.